The National Emergency Management Organization of Belize is holding its Emergency Awareness Week from Sunday, May 22 to Saturday, May 28 under the theme “Preserving life and property”. The Committee has put together a week of activities to enhance the knowledge of the community on disaster preparedness. The following is the schedule of activities:
NEMO, San Pedro Town/Caye Caulker Emergency Awareness Week 2011
*Sunday, May 22, 2011 -Ecumenical Church Services
-All churches invited to do special ceremony on hurricane awareness and preparedness.
*Monday, May 23, 2011 - Radio Talk Show
-At the Reef Radio and Christian Lighthouse - Minister Heredia/Mayor Paz, Mr. Panton, Ms. Lisa Tillett & District Emergency Coordinator.
*Tuesday, May 25, 2011 - Damage Assessment and Needs Analysis Training
- At the Belize Yacht club Training commence at 8:30am – 4:30pm Facilitator: Mr. Craig Moore.
*Wednesday, May 26, 2011 - Public Meeting
- At the Lion’s Den at 7:00 p.m. Minister Heredia and Mayor Paz will be there to address community. Presenters include - Education, Communication, Information and Warning Chairperson Mr. Panton, Ms. Lisa Tillett - Public Health Inspector, Pablo Ico -Transport/evacuation Chairperson and Amy Lieva Chairperson Tourism and Housing and Shelter Chairperson,
*Thursday, May 27, 2011 – Public display
- To be held at the Lion’s Den from 9:00am – 2:00pm. There will be education, communication, information & warning committee, Fire, Belize Coast Guard and BDF to display equipments that can be used to save life.
*Friday, May 28, 2011 - Tsunami Threat Exercise
- North and South of Ambergris Caye (San Pedro Town) and Caye Caulker - Police and Fire to sound alarm using the tsunami warning SOP’s. Alert will be given by District Emergency Coordinator to the Fire service. Radio/cable crawls to inform community of the exercise- San Pedro Town/Caye Caulker Fire and Police to alert people on a potential tsunami threat.
*Saturday, May 28, 2011 - Public Meeting
- At the Caye Caulker Community Center - Public awareness on Disaster Preparedness. Meeting at 7:00pm