Even before the San Pedro Town Council had made announcement of the new rules and regulation for the Carnaval 2013 celebrations, some island folk were stirred up at the mention that there would be some new changes that would alter the traditional celebrations.
The San Pedro Town Council has released the following rules and regulations for Carnaval 2013 for La Isla Bonita. After much consultation with the people of San Pedro and meetings with the Carnaval committee the following was decided for this year’s Carnaval celebrations.
Mayor Daniel Guerrero announced that there will be lots more policing taking place during the celebrations and stiff penalties for those who do not comply with the rules that are intended to make Carnaval a safe celebration for everybody and more respect given to the businesses who have suffered much vandalism in the past years. Below are the new rules and program of events:
* Barrier Reef Drive will be closed from 4pm to 10pm. No vehicles will be allowed to park on Front Street between these hours from Sunday, February 10, 2013 to Tuesday, February 12, 2013.
* Pescador Drive will be open to vehicular traffic but no vehicles will be allowed to park on the street between the hours of 4pm to 10pm from Sunday, February 10, 2013 to Tuesday, February 12, 2013.
* Traffic Officers will be assigned to each comparsa.
* There will be police presence on Barrier Reef Drive, Central Park and Beach.
* The Town Council has hired wardens for additional security during Carnaval.
* Although Carnaval is open for all to participate, the Town Council is recommending for Sunday, February 10, 2013, for only children to paint.
* The community is being asked to refrain from painting on Monday, February 11, 2013, at the request of the San Pedro Catholic Church due to the Pilgrimage Visit of the Travelling Statue of Our Lady Of Fatima (only this year)
* Painting will be ONLY be allowed from the Cemetery (beachside) all the way to Ruby’s Hotel and on Barrier Reef Drive only between the hours of 4pm to 10pm.
* No painting of comparsas participants
* No painting of signs, properties and vehicles
* No painting of people not playing
* No painting of people in uniforms
* No oil paint or spray paint
*No bottle squeezers
*No rotten eggs
*No throwing of eggs
Clean Up & Post Morton:
*Hose down on Tuesday night by Fire Dept.
*Community Service by SPHS
*Offenders caught will be put help and clean up (give 3 hrs. community Service)
CARNAVAL 2013 – “Comparsas y Pintura, Nuestra Cultura”
Saturday: Sabado De Bando (Masquerade & Block Party)
*Performance by Los Mascarados
*Historical/Traditional Comparsas presentation
*Coronation of Carnaval Queen
*Live Music & DJ Music
Venue: Central Park
Time: 7:00 pm
Sunday: Domingo De Carnaval
*Comparsas (Street Performances) & Painting
*Performances by Karaoke singers, Valentino Caliz, San Pedro got talent, Mr. Jade
Monday: Lunes De Carnaval
*Comparsas (Street Performances)
Tuesday: Martes De Pintadera
*Comparsas (Street Performances)
*Martes de Pintadera Beach Party (4:00 pm – 10:00 pm)
*Creative Carnaval Arts
*Final Comparsas Dance Presentation (9:00 pm)
*Award Ceremony at Central Park
Wednesday: Don Juan Carnaval
*Reading of the Will of Juan Carnaval
*Funeral Procession of Juan Carnaval
*Burning of Juan Carnaval