As the General Elections approaches, less than a month away, three candidates have pledged their commitment to work for Belize Rural South and run for office to represent San Pedro and Caye Caulker in the House of Representatives, if elected by their constituency.
The three standard bearers for Belize Rural South are Mel Spain (PUP), Manuel Heredia (UDP) and Ernesto Caliz (NRP) and to give all candidates an open forum to address their constituency, Ambergris Today asked them one simple question: “Why should the people of San Pedro and Caye Caulker vote for you?”
This week we give Mrs. Mel Spain of the People’s United Party the opportunity to respond to the question at hand. Next week we will publish the response of Manuel Heredia Jr.
“First of all, thank you Mr. Nuñez for giving me an opportunity to introduce myself as the proud PUP Standard Bearer for Belize Rural South in our Island’s prestigious newspaper. Like you doing a good job to gain the confidence and support of this community, I too have been trying my utmost best to prove my worth with positive action rather than with words and promises as many politicians do.
I am confident that the people of San Pedro and Caye Caulker are convinced that I am no ordinary politician who comes to them only at election time. I consider myself a humble servant of the people, I carry in my heart the needs and will and aspirations of the people. I am entering politics not because I am in need of as job but because San Pedro has given me so much and I deem it only fair that I should return something to San Pedro, and Caye Caulker, too in terms of service and good representation in Central Government.
I am proud and happy that the PUP has chosen me to be the Standard Bearer for Belize Rural South and to carry out all the good works of the PUP for this constituency. Now I trust the people of San Pedro will give me their support in this election because a vote for me is voting for more and better assistance for each individual, for all the areas and neighborhoods, and the community at large.
My actions prove that I am capable. Look at my record and the record of the PUP for San Pedro and Caye Caulker.
1. We have been able to provide tons of happiness and goodies for all the children of San Pedro in Christmas parties, especially for the less privileged children. I love and believe in children because they are the future of our nation.
2. We have provided for Caye Caulker a truck that will serve the needs of their fire department. This is what they asked for, not what I dreamed of giving.
3. We have also provided for Caye Caulker a truck for their garbage disposal. I was there for them when their area representative said there was nothing he could do.
4. I assisted the BDF in their comfort because they came to sacrifice themselves during the Christmas season so that we all could have a safe and joyful Christmas.
5. I was able to lobby and raise $300,000.00 to build the auditorium for the high school because I knew it was a necessity for the teenagers and San Pedro as a whole. This auditorium and civic center was something promised in at least five different elections by both the UDP and the PUP and I was able to fulfill that dream for San Pedro without any promises and before the election campaigns even started. People in education and all children and teenagers can expect to see a lot of good things from me very soon. As I write, I am looking for the funding (with much success already) to fund the new building for the San Pedro Sixth Form or Junior College. I believe in young people and I trust they now believe in me.
6. I helped the poorer people who wanted to paint up their houses for the Christmas with 200 buckets of paint. This is what some asked for and I did it for many. And I never asked if they were UDP or PUP. I shared it equally because Mel Spain does not claim to be La Amiga del Pueblo. I have proven that I am a true friend to everyone, not just a few.
Dorian, I trust the people of San Pedro and Caye Caulker will support me in this election because I have proven myself “Big Time”. You notice that I don’t like to go too much over the television and babble on with words to look good or to pretend that I am working. I work quietly behind the scenes but my actions prove much stronger than my words. I don’t mind going to Belmopan to represent my people, and come hell or fire, I can get things done. I do not resort to blaming others for things that do not happen. I MAKE SURE THEY HAPPEN.
And finally, I want to assure the people of San Pedro and Caye Caulker that if I have done so much, I am not yet an elected representative. Just wait until I am elected and you will see how truly positive things will happen for San Pedro, Caye Caulker, for individuals, communities and neighborhoods. But for this to happen, I am counting on your vote on February 7. Go tell your relatives and friends now why San Pedro and Caye Caulker should vote for Mel Spain. Be Wise and Be Happy.”