On February 3, 2016, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) donated three (3) 2015 Mazda BT-50 pickup trucks to the Belize Police Department, for the dedicated use of Tourism Police Unit’s (TPU) transportation needs in fulfilling its mandate to address the needs of the tourism industry.
Present for the handing over were Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. – Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Hon. John Saldivar – Minister of National Security, and Mr. Allen Whylie – Commissioner of Police.
The vehicles are intended to:
- Provide visitor safety and security
- Increase the coverage area of the Tourism Police Unit in enforcing tourism legislation and policies
- Create greater visibility of the Tourism Police Unit by tourism stakeholders and the general public
- Enable circuit patrols of terrestrial sites and attractions
- Enable sting operations to be executed
- Assist visitors in need
- Enable rapid deployment of officers in times of crisis, such as crimes against tourists, accidents, etc.
- Move officers to areas where tourism related events, (fairs, fests, festivals etc.) are being enjoyed by domestic and inbound travelers
- Detain and move persons of interest
These vehicles represent part of the tourism industry’s commitment to visitor safety and security. TPU presence, and thus enforcement of the laws of Belize, will help to ensure a safe visitor experience in Belize.