After a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Belize, in particular San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, the Government of Belize has decided to implement an emergency proclamation for the entire country that includes a 14-day Quarantine Lockdown for San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and parts of the Orange Walk District, only.
Besides the 13 new COVID-19 cases in Ambergris Caye, announced last night, Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 19 more cases are expected to be announced later today which is included in the 23 new case expected in the entire country. Community spread in San Pedro has been confirmed with one of the clusters on the island indicating a possible source of infection coming from Orange Walk, linking the two locations.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow stated that all non-essential travel around the country should be avoided. Below is a summary outline of the regulations that will pertain to Ambergris Caye during the quarantine specific for the island:
- Complete Quarantine of the island for 14 days (State of Emergency) Starting Midnight, Friday, August 7
- Nobody can go in or out of the island during this time
- Curfew implemented 8pm - 4:59am for Adults and 6pm - 5:59am for Children
- Limitations on gatherings 10 people max
- All work on construction sites will cease
- Emergency movement in and out of the island on a case by case basis
- Cargo will be allowed in and out of the island
- Essential Services Officers will be permitted to perform their duties
- Government offices will be closed
- Banks will be allowed to open
- Grocery Stores, Pharmacies, Essential Stores will be allowed to open
- Closure of bars, disco, night clubs,
In the Orange Walk District, the areas of Santa Martha, Shipyard and Guinea Grass will be under the same 14-day quarantine restrictions of Ambergris Caye, while the rest of the Orange Walk District will follow more relaxed state of emergency regulations that include the following:
- Curfew 10pm- 4:49am and 12am- 4:59am on weekends
- Closure of Bars, disco, night clubs countrywide
- Casinos will be allowed to operate with certain restrictions
- Social Gatherings limited to 25 max
- Public transportation will remain in operation
Mandatory use of face masks and protocol of social distancing will the enforced countrywide with a heavier penalty previously imposed.