Secrets to Life
Secrets to Life articles by Chris Emmanuel.
- By Seleni Perez - This is an advice of love to the youth who feels discouraged and misunderstood. Life is harsh, and at times can be unfair, but do not allow the negativity that surrounds you get to you and consume you. Not everyone who talks to you is your friend and not everyone who call themselves friend truly cares about your wellbeing. Yet, you have people in your life that truly care for you and indeed look for your wellbeing. These are individuals who go through sleepless nights worrying for you, but it is sad to mention, you might not even realize this.
- By Seleni Perez - It is true that at times we can be as stubborn as can be, and want things our way.
- by Seleni Perez - Do not worry about tomorrow because no one knows if it will come; and if we waste too much time thinking, we may lose the greatest moments of today. Treasure the ‘now’ and live each moment, not taking a single second for granted. Matthew 6:34 says “Do not be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of your tomorrow too.”
- by Seleni Perez - Your mistakes do not define you. (Psalms 37:24). We have all had rough rides in the road of life and along the way we have had bumps and wrong turns. It’s true sometimes we may not be the wisest, and several times we have made regrettable decisions that up to this day may haunt us. But let’s not be hard on ourselves by dragging our past wherever we go, but rather take these as valuable life lessons.
by Selenie Perez - Pride is a nasty feeling that consumes our time and consequently our life. It poisons our mind, while its feeds our ego; pushing everyone away, the ones who truly love and appreciate us, for who we are. We are left with a feeling so vile and selfish. It happens in all of us at some point, while for some it is just for short time; others carry it out for as long as it takes.
- By Seleni Perez - This is a message to remind you that you are not alone. In days that you sit lonely on a corner hoping someone would understand your sorrow or nights where you cry wishing you could scream so loud so that everyone can feel your pain. In times where no one seems to get you and all you can think of is the misery of life and your heart can’t take anymore damage; you are not alone.
- by Seleni Perez - Forgiveness is a word so easy to say, but applies much strength and courage to do. It’s forgetting the past and promising not to hold resentment. It’s letting go of the pain and seeing new horizons without a reason to look back! It’s setting your heart, mind and soul free from sorrow, and seeking a new beginning. But how to do this when we can not find peace within?
- by Seleni Perez - Have you ever felt worthless? Do yo feel like an incomplete person thought to be the black sheep of the flock, and as much as you try to fit in all you do is fall out? You are not alone; we all have that point in life where we feel misunderstood or odd amongst our peers. But that’s okay! You don’t have to be too hard on yourself to be liked or get the approval through the standards of others. Don’t allow the opinions of others define you.
by Seleni Perez - My mom has an old recycled box and in it she holds treasured, pictures, notes, documents and letters that hold her best kept memories stored. More than once I have asked her to have me keep it or at least one thing from it. However, she would only allow my sister and me to go through the box and once in a while she will go over it and revisit the stories these collections would hold.
Have you ever said something you wish you could take back, but it was too late by the time you thought of it? As I talk to many youths and people both young and old, I am amazed how they choose to express themselves in ways that can be hurtful to others. Countless of times we have had the urge to express our point of view or say how we feel, but we do so without considering possible consequences. We do not think before we act, or in this case talk!
We are very fortunate to live in a nation that enables us to freedom of expression. However, many times we are not wise enough when we exercise our rights. A message can be sent across but the way we do impacts the way the receiver reacts. They will either appreciate it or they will withdraw and get angry.
In life we have our highs and lows with good times that bring us great memories and bad times that teach us how to become better people. All our lives we dedicate ourselves to improving our paths or as how we may refer to it “improve our luck”. But, the truth is that on either scenario people will always have something to say. I was once told that every mind is its own island, and this is true because people will always have something to say, which is nothing we can control. Yet one thing we can control is our thoughts and intentions.
Today, it is very common to hear people say that you only live once or as to how it is abbreviated with style “YOLO”. Many times, we use this as an excuse to do as we please and get away with it. As a matter of fact, the term is not untrue, life is short, but does that mean it omits us from the consequences.
Chop wood, wash clothes, eat cherries - Zen
By Christopher Emmanuel Highest good is like water. Because water excels in benefiting the myriad (world) creatures without contending with them and settles where none would like to be, it comes close to the way.- VIII-Tao Te Ching
By Christopher Emmanuel
There is always something to be rescued when you live close to nature. Coming home from a trip abroad, I found a big cockroach in the center of my living room floor. Upside down, kicking, attempting to get right side up. In the past, I would have just squished this misunderstood crawler. But now filled with respect for life, I pause to watch my thoughts. Is he no less than the dragonfly, or birds I rescue that are sometimes trapped in my studio? It is so easy to kill certain creatures, especially ones we don’t understand. Deep down I know it has a purpose like all existence.
Real freedom starts with knowing your ability to change continually -Emmanuel I am watching a dragon fly. He’s trapped in my studio because he can’t see the way out. He continuously slams into by big window facing the street, and then he attempts to pass through the cover of my florescent lights on the ceiling.
When challenging situations occur in your life, instead of reacting negatively, start to imagine the possibilities - Emmanuel
By Chris Emmanuel